Monday, January 2, 2012

Stem Cells

One morning during breakfast at a food stall in front of PGA Camp in Kubang Badak I overheard a group people from a table in front of me talking seriously about something. I did not mean to eavesdrop, but the topic was something I think I knew a bit to share with them.

It was about stem cells. They were talking about the use of umbilical cord stem cells (UCSC).

I then joined in the discussion from my table. "What are stem cells?" They asked me.

They are cells that have not differentiated fully and can form any specialized cells if the need arise. The first use of stem cells in treating disease is the use of bone marrow for the treatment of leukemia.

They seemed so interested in what I told them. They even invited me to give a talk on stem cells to their musola congregation. I said why not?

No comments: