Sunday, September 5, 2010

Village Chicken Curry & Grilled Tuna For Syahur

This early morning, at 5.00 am to be exact, I enjoyed my syahur at home with my family.

There was nothing elaborate or fanciful about it really. But I did not know why, this morning it was subtly special to me.

The meal consisted of steamed white rice with tuna, grilled to perfection by my wife, and a village chicken's wing curry, the remainder of yesterday's breakfast.

Normally we Terengganu folks prepare our tuna either deep fried or cooked as singgang (a kind of soup mixed with galanga, tumeric and garlic). I was first introduced to grilled tuna when I was in Canchun, Mexico.

When you buy a tuna (aya hitam) from the fish market, ask your fishseller to cut the fish into thick stakes. Take one to two stakes and grilled it over a hot non-stick pan with just a sprinkle or two of palm oil.

Don't overcook your tuna or else it will become very dry and tasteless. Have it rare to medium rare and you will have a juicy tuna for dinner!

Coming back to village chicken curry, actually I favour it more compared to the commercial broilers. It has that special characteristics...that chewiness and sweetness.

Of course it is much more expensive. A already dressed almost 2 kg chicken costed me RM 28.00. BUt its taste made the money spent worthwhile.

After syahur I drove back to UNISZA, a bit late compared the other Sundays before.

9 comments:

Wan Sharif said...

Passed through Unisza at least twice today..in my search of PakCik Hassan (abang Hassan to me) of Al-Manar in Seberang Maras..
Have a short sweet stopover.. getting to know him in person.. sure glad to know someone who work untuk kemanusian kerana tuhan..

Al-Manar said...

Nature Lover,
Wan Sharif casually mentioned your name on leaving my house today. Hearing that you are with Unisza I have managed to track down your site and true enough I saw his name. Incidentally,( if I may address this to Wan ), you got it wrong. My home is in PENGKALAN Maras not SEBERANG like your Seberang Takir!Little wonder you were misdirected all over the place.
Wan's visit with his good wife o my home was a special Hari Raya gift to this lonely couple.
Banyak banyak lah buat kueh dan bawa yang baki ke Unisza 'untuk budak budak'
Selamat Hari Raya
Pakcik Hassan

azahar said...

Wan Sharif,

Why didn't you stop and pay a visit to your dear friend yesterday? I was all alone in my office surfing the Internet looking for infor for my coming lectures.

The campus is deserted as students have all gone home for the Hari Raya.

I too would like very much to meet Pak Cik Hassan one of these days.

I will be on a long leave starting tomorrow.

Selamat Hari Raya Maaf zahir dan Batin. Kalau lalu Kemaman singgahlah kat rumah

azahar said...

Pak Cik Hassan,

Assalamualaikum wbt

Terima kasih kerana telah sudi menjenguk saya di blogspot.

Actually I had spent quite sometimes in Kem Polis Hutan Kubang Badak during my upper secondary years.

Pengkalan Maras was nothing new to me. I used to ride my bicycle from the camp right up to Merang those days.

I knew one Mak Cik Yah from Maras. Her husband was my father's colleague in the camp.

What about we meet some of these days. Just to get to know you better.

Al-Manar said...

Dato'

How nice it is to know someone familiar with my retirement part of the world.
It would be my pleasure to meet you. I am on
almanar@pd,jaring.my
019 9839703
Pakcik Hassan

Martin Lee said...

Dato'

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri to you and family.

Shall be traveling home and balik kampung too!

Have a wonderful time.

Regards,
Martin Lee

Wan Sharif said...

Dear Azahar,
My apologies for not paying you the visit on my way to Pengkalan Maras.. Pakcik specifically asked me to go to his place before I terjun jambatan ke Pulau Duyong (he did not know then I have ceased living in Duyong) and I responded I will if I have time..in our blogging.
I went to my sisters places .. nobody was home.. telecommunications indicate that they are not coming back soon enough.. I remembered my promised to Pakcik..
With so short time (and getting lost too) I could not make another stop.. Pst I thought you office is in Batu Burok.. blimey..
Anyway Happy Eid Mubarak to you and yours...

مشروع جديد ناجح said...

Blog Excellent continued progress and success in the

azahar said...

Noura,

Thanks for dropping by...it is always good to know that someone follows my blog...