Malaysians are becoming obese. In fact we register the highest percentage of obese population in South East Asia. Nothing to be proud of, I guess.
More and more people suffer and die from bad-eating-habits-diseases. Yes, diseases like diabetes, hypertension and heart diseases.
People of a younger age group, as young as late twenties, have been and increasingly diagnosesd to be suffering from heart disease.
Yes, situation is becoming bad. We eat just too much nowadays. We eat as we like, not when we are hungry, as it is supposed to be.
We have heavy breakfast, tea breaks at 10.00, equally heavy lunch, tea at 5.30, heavy dinner at 8.00 and sometimes another quite heavy supper.
We overeat. The amount of food consumed does not relate to the amount of physical energy we do.
Look at these facts:
1. We park right in front of anywhere we want to go, right into the shopping mall if we can, does not matter if we double or tripple park.
2. We use elevator, even if it is just for one floor. I wonder if we ever climb the stairs anymore?
3. We use mostly something that is ready-made, automatic, operated by just a switch or a click.
4. When was the last time that we do real exercise? Casual walking does not count in this case (even this not many of us do often unless forced to)
5. We talk about calories, cholestrol, fat...but most of us practise NATO (No Action Talk Only)
6. We consume too much sugar, carbohydrates, fats - far beyond our daily needs.
7. We seldom add the bitter, the sour, the kelat...we only favour the sweet, the sweet and more sweet...
8. Our meetings, seminars, conventions are too laden with food. Buffet breakfast, Buffet lunches and Buffet dinners are the culprits...we eat too much at buffets...many lose self-control with buffets
9. May be we are too polite in as far as food is concerned...imagine when you are already full and yet still have to comply with sopan santun when a hiot offers you food.."just a little food.." Too much too little will be a lot too.
REMEMBER, EAT ONLY WHEN WE ARE HUNGRY & STOP WHEN WE START TO ENJOY THE FOOD & BEFORE WE ARE FULL. RESERVE A PORTION OF OUR SMALL STOMACH FOR US TO BREATH WITH.
HAVE DINNER BEFORE MAGHRIB (DUSK PRAYER) - IT GIVES ENOUGH TIME FOR THE FOOD TO BE FULLY DIGESTED BEFORE WE GO TO SLEEP
CONSUME MORE VEGES (HAVE TO BE CAREFUL OF CHEMICAL RESIDUES THOUGH) AND NUTS - ESPECIALLY FOR THOSE ABOVE 40