Tuesday, October 6, 2009

THE THREE BROTHERS

The tragedy in Padang makes me think how the three of them brothers left their Minangkabau base in search for a better place in Tanah Melayu.

The three were the father and uncles of my late grandfather, father side.

The three of them, Hj Ali included (my great grandfather, so I was told) crossed the Straits of Malacca by using the bare minimum of a boat with a batik sail!

Their epic journey was worth writing as a novel. I'm seriously thinking of doing just that soon.

One landed in Bagan Datuk, Perak where he married a local girl and started a great family there growing coconut.

The second one landed in Rembau giving rise to my family and was a member of Suku Mungkah (I have to check the spelling).

The third one went further south and stopped at Serkam, Melaka.

I was told that the three brothers did not lose contact despite the long distance separating them.

I guess it is on my shoulder to track them before my time is up.

No comments: