Thursday, February 25, 2010

FIVE MAGPIE ROBINS HARASSING A SOLITARY SQUIRREL

The traffic was extraordinarily congested today as I drove down the bay route road. A too fast changing traffic light at a junction may be the cause of the jam.

As I was waiting for the traffic to move, I gave my eyes a rest on the greens along the road.

Up the telephone line I saw a squirrel casually performing the tight-rope crossing. That was from the left to the right of the road.

Further right I saw a tembusu tree standing majestically overshadopwing smaller trees underneath it. Its leaves rustled as the gentle morning breeze passed through.

Suddenly I saw a commotion up one of its branch. A scruffle broke out between five magpie robins and a seemingly minding-its-own-business squirrel.

The birds were chasing away the squirrel from the branch. They took turn to bombard the mammal with its beaks.

I did not know why they did so. That squirrel did nothing wrong to the birds. Or were they defending their nest against the mammal? But as far as I know, squirrels do not normally rob bird's nest.

Well, I don't blame them. Even we humans make mistakes.

3 comments:

Martin Lee said...

The town that we are staying is full of traffic lights every nook and corner. I had never seen any small town in Malaysia has so many of these traffic lights!It makes me wonder whether some of those guys in charge of traffic lights stay in areas near to every one of this traffic light. They installed that for their own convenience sake so that they could get in and out of the junction easily? This town can become the champion of Malaysia in having the most traffic lights but most of the time the lights are not well synchronized, at times you have to wait at every one of them, it is sheer frustration!

Bagman and Butler said...

I'm guessing they were defending a nest. I've seen squirrels going for eggs.

NYKOLETT said...

Poor squirrels...here in setiawangsa squirrels are every where..They are eating up my plants..lets hope they don attack my fishes!!!